Art Collectors like to make a decision on their own when it comes to buy a piece of art BUT the art market is worldwide. It means a wide offer of art & artists.
At bAm we separate the wheat from the chaff upon rigorous criteria for more than ten years in order to create a great selection of art to help the collector in his/her choice.
We’ve decided to share those simple but efficient criteria with you in 5 steps to select good art
5 steps to select good art
Step1 – FEEL SOMETHING..
Step 2 – Examine carefully the artwork (and only the artwork)
- It must reflect high technical skills, but not only.
- It must contain creativity, not necessarily new but at least treated with originality. The creativity can show in figurative, narrative, abstract or conceptual mode, no matter.
Step 3 – Examine the entire Body of work
- If the artwork must show strong skills, as mentioned above, the entire body of work must show an evolution of those skills, and a growing creativity.
- The ensemble must be coherent, consistent. It doesn’t mean the artworks have to lookthe same. It means the artworks can vary, show researches and diversity but not heterogeneity.The body of work must show a constant evolution.
- To make sure you are right, consult catalogs of previous exhibitions, ask to see more art of the artist.
Step 4 – Long Term conservation
- Even if you are an art collector/investor, the art you’re about to purchase must be transportable any time, any distance, no matter the conditions of shipping
- The technique is so perfect that the art that will be durable
- Edition of a photograph, video, sculpture must be really limited as told by the dealer.
Stage 5 – Meet with the artist
- Once you’re convinced the art is good, go to meet the artist.
- Try to understand if he has a vision of his/her art.
- She/He should show an ability to tell his/her thoughts in words.
- You should be impressed by his/her character, intelligence, ambition, but that smartness in communication would never be the reason of your purchase
If the art and artist have passed those 5 steps to select good art successfully you can buy it and enjoy it.